Thursday, March 22, 2012

Matching Drapes and Couch



This shot from “More than a Secretary” (1936) intrigued me when I first saw it. No, not because of Jean Arthur, although she is swell in anything she does. I mean the drapes behind her. Plaid drapes in 1936. We seem to be unconsciously foreshadowing the war years.

You know what I mean. Never mind the men in uniform or the patriotism. War-time movies really stand out because of those plaid drapes. Here we are in “Since You Went Away” (1944).


The drapes in this movie are to decorate the wide arch between the living room and the hall, and between the living room and the dining room.



But -- and here is the kicker -- they match the cushions on the couch.


Look at the back of this chair in the foreground. The chair matches the plaid pattern as well.


A 1940s fashion? Look here at “My Reputation” (1946). More plaid drapes and matching couch.



The fashion was tweaked a little bit at the end of the decade for “Tension” (1949), where we see a checkerboard pattern Richard Basehart’s apartment.



Not only do couch and drapes match, but the easy chair and desk chair match as well.


Yes, this is why I watch old movies.  I care nothing for acting or story line; it's the drapes.  It was always all about the plaid drapes. 

Can you think of other examples?

No comments:

Post a Comment