Thursday, October 3, 2013

And the Winner is...


AND THE WINNER IS....Rich! 

Thanks so much to everyone who emailed to enter the contest.  I'll be running another one next month.

***

I'll be speaking to the Chicopee Historical Society on the exploits of three guys from the same Northern factory during the Civil war: a Medal of Honor winner, a teenager who later worked with Augustus St Gaudens and other famous scupltors producing bronze statuary, and the owner of the company - James Tyler Ames. The ironies and coincidences that link them are a chapter of my forthcoming book, and I hope to have some copies on hand for the occasion. The event is at Ames Privilege Common Room, lower Springfield St, Chicopee, Mass., Wednesday, Oct. 16th at 6 p.m. Love to see you there.

***
 
 
I have a new project for this blog in the works for next year, an experiment of sorts.  I'd like to explore the career of Ann Blyth--movies, radio and TV appearances, and stage work.  I've been kicking this idea around for a couple months and what particularly interests me is examining the relationship between Hollywood, TV and theatre in the 20th century through the trajectory of one person's career.  Ann Blyth's own career path, the apparent fact that she hasn't had much play on most blogs that I can find (including mine), and that she is still with us and, as anyone who has seen the Robert Osborne interviews conducted last spring for the TCM Film Fest, is a most articulate and valuable representative of her industry.  We spend a lot of effort on our blogs to celebrate the work of so many greats who are long gone.  It's also important, when we find the opportunity, to celebrate those who are still with us.
 
 
I'll still blog on other topics and movies, and join in the occasional blogathon when I can, but for the most part, 2014 is going to be The Year of Ann Blyth.  I'll post more info on this in December.  The next few months will be the hunter-gatherer stage for me as I collect material.  I've seen probably a third of her films and some TV work, but I'd like to see all of them if I can.  Not all are easily available, so knocking them off my list is going to be a challenge. 
 
 
I'm hoping the series will generate some thoughtful discussion among us, as I appreciate your comments and value your opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment